The Arch Way: Storytelling
Everyone has a story to share. Whether you are a company trying to share your brand’s vision or an individual trying to craft your narrative, there are a few key elements to a good story. Remember when you were a kid, and you read your favorite fairy tale. It had all the elements for a good story. The ‘once upon a time,’ the ‘happily ever after’, the character development, the scene, the surprise, the emotions etc… Here are 10 steps to tell a compelling story.
1. Project – what is the story for (i.e. a book, a podcast, a website, social media?)
2. Purpose – why are you telling this story?
3. Audience – who is this story for?
4. Board – create a vision or mood board to inspire your story!
5. Content – stories come in many formats: Q+A, narrative, news style
6. Specificity – vivid details help bring a story to life so avoid generality
7. Sensory – add details on what you remember (sights, sounds, smells, touch, taste)
8. Paint – bring the story to life with colors, ambiance, imagery, surroundings, time
9. Development – each character should be thoroughly explored through viewpoints
10. Structure – your story should have a clear plan
- setup – the who, what, where, when, why, how (paint the scene)
- problem – what is the challenge that the character will face? (obstacle)
- climax – how, if at all, did the character overcome the issue?
- conclusion – what happens in the end?